Monday 14 August 2017

#RPGaDAY2017: Day 14 - Which RPG do you prefer for open-ended campaign play

Umm...

It's not about the system or the setting, but the people you're playing with and the story you're telling.

There are for sure some systems that don't lend themselves to long-running or open-ended play, either because the xp progression means you'll become too powerful for the world too quickly, or because there's a point where you run out of stuff to spend it on or levels or whatever, and as much as I love Svetlana and want to continue her story, I do find Pathfinder and D&D systems to be frustrating for long term play because combat slows everything down.

I guess the genre I most enjoy true open-ended play, with no long-term goal, is something cyberpunk'y, something like ShadowRun. To be honest, it's the only game I have played that way, and I did enjoy it for something to dip in and out of, and for all my protestations on Day 9, I actually kinda miss it and would kinda like to play in a campaign like that again. One day, with more time and more energy...

 ~~~

RPGaDAY was started by Dave Chapman and is currently curated by RPG Brigade. To join in yourself, follow the questions in the graphic and blog, vlog, tweet, or otherwise share your responses with the hashtag RPGaDAY2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment