Sunday 6 August 2017

#RPGaDAY2017: Day 6 - You can game every day for a week. Describe what you do.

As much as it'll shock some people who know me well, I wouldn't game every day.

Don't get me wrong, I adore roleplay, but it isn't my only beloved hobby and if I found I had a whole week to do stuff in, I'd spend some of roleplaying, sure, and playing whatever my friends wanted to run for me (so Deadlands, Exalted, Pathfinder, (old) World of Darkness, Numenera and homebrew stuff would likely get a look in). Then I might play some computer games (but probably not) and some BloodBowl and do some writing. And then I'd take myself off to as many circus sessions as my body would take.

Because if I just did roleplay I'd burn out and make myself ill. Joys of having two chronic fatigue, chronic pain conditions which both require management by exercise.

And the other thing I'd do would be finally prep that Buffy based game I want to run for some friends. I'm even more keen since finding a few of my aerialist buddies would like to play though I'll also invite a friend or two who've roleplayed often, to help guide them (as an aside, I was that player for a friend at uni, in my maths class. He wanted to run a game of Space Munchkin for a few of his flatmates and asked me to come along to show them the ropes. It was great fun - I played a catperson jedi creature and every time things slowed down I'd open a door or press a button. One of the other players got really into character and started pulling me around by my tail to try and protect the party from my curiosity!).

Aerial friends like this friend.
I've got a pretty good concept, set in a school building based on my memories of the upper school I went to. Obviously a school: it's Buffy! Though I don't intend the game to spill out of the school grounds, in the back of my mind I've a pertty good idea of the whole town, a cross between where I grew up, where I went to uni and where I live now.

I'll need to prep a load of archetype characters beforehand, as of my aerialist friends who've shown an interest, only one has played any game before (Werewolf, I think). Having pre-made character sheets means they can either grab some stats and play as is, personalise themselves, or have a frame to work from to create their own. I'd be looking at having them play pupils, but school staff would work to.

The idea is it's either after school during the week or it's a Saturday, and they're all in school for different reasons - I'll have a few to pick from, and they can come up with their own. There's a school play being rehearsed, something going on in the science labs (may have to talk to one of my aerialists on that one, as she's a science teacher so may have a good reason to be doing something science'y on a Saturday), some sports practices in the field (I'm more of a mathematician than an athlete, but I was a bit sad when I learnt my old school's playing fields had been squashed up to make room for new maths classrooms, even with the old ones being handed over to the drama department. It was a great green space. Also, I gather the art department weren't happy as it's completed blocked their light), maybe some arts/design tech students finishing some final project - and of course, those in detention.

And then things will start going a bit wibbly...

I will genuinely run this one day. I was thinking the August bank holiday, but that seems unlikely now. Once we've finally managed to move to a new house, though, I'll start prepping with more vigour.


~~~

RPGaDAY was started by Dave Chapman and is currently curated by RPG Brigade. To join in yourself, follow the questions in the graphic and blog, vlog, tweet, or otherwise share your responses with the hashtag RPGaDAY2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment